Social media

Forum

Book Club: John Brown by WEB DuBois (Next Meeting 3/3 6:00 PM)

Let's Read "John Brown" by W.E.B. DuBois together!

To "RSVP or sign up" to this club - contact: landofziploc@gmail.com, FB Messenger: geekout or John Kawakami; Signal, WhatsApp, SMS: 626-710-8365.

John Brown is the biography of a radical abolitionist most famous for conducting a raid on Harper's Ferry hoping to inspire a slave revolt. It didn't work out that way, but, eventually, the states entered into a Civil War over slavery. Brown is an odd person - a white guy, an abolitionist, who, through religious conviction, became a so-called terrorist. His raid led to his arrest and conviction for treason, and execution, in December 1859.

W.E.B. DuBois was a sociologist and  historian who, more than anyone else, created the intellectual foundation for the "left" or radical wing of Black Studies, and, thus, Ethnic Studies. More: Cornel West lectures on DuBois. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy on DuBois.

The Book is here, for FREE, at Project Gutenberg: John Brown by W.E.B. DuBois

Audiobooks: MP3 Files at Indymedia, Librivox reading on YouTube, Librivox MP3 file at Scribd.

Schedule:
12/15/20 - Initial Meeting - no reading, just testing the software, talking
12/22/20 - Chapters 1-3
12/29/20 - Chapter 4
01/05/21 - Chapter 5
01/12/21 - Chapter 6
01/19/21 - Chapter 7
01/26/21 - Chapter 8
02/02/21 - Chapter 9
02/09/21 - Chapter 10
02/16/21 - Chapter 11
02/23/21 - Chapter 12
03/03/21 - Chapter 13

Final meeting time: 6PM.

Meetings happen in two places:

Video-avatar chatroom on Spatial: https://spatial.chat/s/johnbrownbookclub

Text chatroom on Discord: https://discord.com/channels/786711578120159233/786711578120159235

Please contact John to get a server invitation.

Other References:
Librivox forum discussion about the recording.

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :

This sounds exciting. We're having a talk on WEB DuBois' "Black Reconstruction" on December 14. You'll be able to watch it live at this link.

Possibly we can have one of you on to discuss John Brown towards the end of January, since I can very much see how this ties in.

Does your book club have a name?

John1969 and hoopzilla4 have reacted to this post.
John1969hoopzilla4

I used "johnbrownbookclub" for the chatroom, so I guess that's what it is.  If it works out, we should pick a better, more general name.

I don't know what direction this will go, and we should just see what happens.

We should send someone over to discuss. The deeper I dig into this, the more it's about DuBois.

People will be into a Book Club called John Brown.

Quote from John1969 on December 9, 2020, 6:38 pm

I used "johnbrownbookclub" for the chatroom, so I guess that's what it is.  If it works out, we should pick a better, more general name.

I don't know what direction this will go, and we should just see what happens.

We should send someone over to discuss. The deeper I dig into this, the more it's about DuBois.

Hello my name is Anna. Is there a particular place I go for the book club?

Hi Anna. You're at the page! Can you send your email address to landofziploc@gmail.com? I'll send you invites to the Discord chat server, and put you on an announcement list.

First off, congrats to Teka for starting this site!  Looking forward to discussing W.E.B. Dubois' work on John Brown.  Also the conversation about "Black Reconstruction," who some people feel is the most important literary work in U.S. History.  -Taiji

You can join Discord at the invitation link in the top post.

You can get the online version of the book at the Gutenberg site, linked in the first post.

If you have a Kindle, they have an ebook you can download. To transfer it to your Kindle, attach  your Kindle to a PC, and drag the ebook into the Kindle's "documents" folder.

Listening to the podcast but having trouble joining. Sounds like a good convo!

oof I missed this. I appreciate the schedule!

Install the Public Intellectuals App

Install
%d bloggers like this: